Estimating flooring cost as a professional designer has not varied much in my 40 plus years in this business. Many variables determine your guidelines when pricing the project. In most cases furniture moving and returning the items to where they were are, determining if the baseboards are to be removed and reinstalled or new wallbase is to be supplied, moving and reinstalling appliances and plumbing fixtures are also part of your cost. As mentioned in the installation section floor preparation and underlayment would round out the final cost.
I always suggest you visit homewyse.com which will give you qualified guidelines on pricing any type of flooring. My goal is to make your most valuable investment sparkle in beauty increase in value, with our focus on quality, an expert install and the right products to match your tastes and lifestyle.
Flooring 101, What You Really Need to Know
- What type of transition do you need at each doorway?
- What type of wall base do I need and is it part of a job?
- Do I need ¼ round or shoe-base?
- What is solution dyed fiber and how will it protect my carpet with the Colorado sun?
- What should I use-polyester or nylon?
- What type of finish is applied to my hardwood?
- The manufacturing process of the core material of a laminate floor, is that important?
- What is the most efferent product for my pets?
- What is LVP? Is there any product that is waterproof?
- Is it important to research if the carpet backing is treated with stain protection?
- What type of padding will protect my environment from odors, stains and germs?
- Is it important to protect and seal my new floors with a odor blocker and urine remover?
- Are the floors I may purchase pass the ratings associations testing?
- What is the rating hardness of my wood selection for Colorado low moisture content?
- What is PETA? What effect does it have on my carpet purchase?
- Do my floors contain harmful gases? Carcinogen’s? Are my floors made in America?
I always ask my clients why they would ever consider making such an important purchase from flooring outlets that buy most of their products from the far east, some of which are in national class action lawsuits for selling cancer causing products. Why buy flooring from the same store that sells toilets, hardware and garden supplies? I ask if they want to become their own general contractor, buy products, and chase down an installer on Craig’s list or simply go with one that is recommended by a big box store? I’ve stressed to clients over the years the value of using professional people that have a knowledge base of the current products and quality install teams.
It is important to note that each and every job is unique and different. The first question I am usually asked is, "How much is the product square foot price?" Well a lot of the costs factors are calculated based on the removal of existing flooring. Costs vary depending the type of flooring we will install—hardwood, ceramic, laminate, vinyl and carpet. We will also consider your home’s subflooring whether it is plywood or cement, and how baseboards, trim and door cuts will affect the removal process. Pro-patch and floor leveling are additional factors along with moving and replacing furniture, appliance removal and replacing, toilet and sink removal and replacing. A quality flooring company will safely dispose of your old carpet and padding in a recycle center instead of a landfill.
The cost per square foot in all of the big-box home and garden stores may be lower. However the products you receive will not include a fiber resin core structure, numerous coats of aluminum oxide, a protective polyurethane finish flash cured under UV lights. Their $2.99 installation process does not include all the factors mentioned above, or environmentally friendly recycling. Would a health care decision be solely based on cost? Of course not; our goal is simply to provide outstanding service and incredible products at the best possible price to you.
Our pricing and service package for your home—the most important and expensive material investment you own—will always focus on quality, safety, and interior design that elevates your surroundings and highlights your taste, all at a very competitive total cost that is always lower than the value you receive.
Click a button below for estimated flooring costs
I bring 40 plus years of experience to you and your home as the principal owner of JC Designers Group featuring JC Designers, our remodeling company and Floorscapers, our flooring company. The word “standard” isn’t in my vocabulary. I have completed 100’s of beautiful home remodels, including turn-key custom homes, 1000’s of floor installs, several fix & flips. I have done it all. I like a challenge. Allow me to show you beauty and fine workmanship.